Tin Front Cafe

216 East 8th Ave., Homestead, PA 15120

Sunday Buffet Brunch 11am to 3pm

Sunday Buffet Brunch 11am to 3pm
Tin Front Cafe

Monday, May 7, 2012

Family, friends join in as club honors Esper as Homestead icon

Homestead Mayor Betty Esper was honored for her years of service and dedication to the community.

The Harmony Club of Homestead paid tribute to Esper at its Dorothy Lance-Vivian Weems Annual Scholarship Luncheon on Saturday afternoon at St. John's Cathedral Center in Munhall.

Many of the mayor's relatives traveled from as far away as California to join local family, friends and colleagues at the event.

"The biggest surprise was my family coming," Esper said. "When I was out in the lobby, I was looking at people coming in. Then somebody said (tilde)Congratulations.' I thought, (tilde)I don't know what's going on, but something is going on.'"

Her family was hiding in the lounge until KDKA news anchor Brenda Waters, the mistress of ceremonies, announced Esper as the Harmony Club of Homestead honoree.

"Mayor Betty Esper, this is your day," Waters said. "You are being honored today."

Harmony Club member Marlene "Pumpkin" Murphy organized the surprise and presented Esper with the 2012 Best Foot Forward Award for her dedication and ongoing spirit of service and volunteerism.

"She's always there for whoever needs her to be there," Murphy said. "She's been my best friend. She's my mentor. She's my strength when my strength seems weak."

She said no one will ever fill the shoes of "BoBo" Esper.

Esper's nephew Joe Esper, who is a Pleasant Hills councilman, shared some stories of his well-known aunt.

"She did lose an election back in 1993," he said. "We try to forget that. But I remember back in 1993 talking to her and asking what she was going to do now that she wasn't mayor. Her response was that she was going to keep doing the same things that she's always done, but she just wasn't going to have an office to go to everyday. I can guarantee you that she never stopped. She didn't give up"

Joe Esper shared a memory of his aunt introducing him to President Bill Clinton in 1996 when he came to Pittsburgh while running for re-election.

"I'm so proud to be her nephew and of everything she has done," said Robin Robinson, who traveled from Westwood, NJ. "Everywhere I go, I talk about her commitment to her town and family."

"During one's lifetime, there are few opportunities to recognize an individual who has placed a handprint on the lives of her family, her friends and the citizens she was elected to represent," said Denise Kelly, Esper's friend and former Homestead program director.

Esper is a life-long resident of Homestead who began her political career in 1980 as a borough councilwoman, serving in that capacity for 10 years before becoming mayor.

"Mayor Esper has seen her community through the struggling decline of the industrial revolution," Kelly said. "It was during that period that our mayor, like many before her, became a former employee of United States Steel. It was also during that time when she maintained her vigilance during the second renaissance of the borough of Homestead, during the dismantling of the Homestead plant, during negotiations with potential developers and the subsequent birth of our county's most premier destination point, the Waterfront."

She said that, through the mayor's diligence and guidance, Homestead chartered new ground and pulled itself out of Act 47 distressed-community status.

Esper also played a large part in the Homestead High Level Bridge being renamed as the Homestead Grays Bridge in 2002, in recognition of the borough's famous Negro League Baseball team.

"The only reason I wanted to be a mayor is to be out in the public, talk to people and help people," Esper said. "The political part, I hated. I don't even consider myself a politician. I just like doing things for people."

She said mayors get credit for many things by being in the public eye and representing boroughs, but there are many others who come together to get tasks accomplished.

"We get the credit," Esper said. "When people tell me about everything I did for Homestead, I just put my head down because I didn't do it all. You cannot do anything alone."

Lynn Settles, mother of Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch, read a letter to Esper from her son.

"I appreciate you helping me become the (tilde)Best of the Batch' as I grew up," Batch wrote. "I also correct the media that I'm not from Pittsburgh; I'm from Homestead. You are the reason for the life of Homestead today. The memories you have given me as a kid and as an adult will last forever."

Former state Sen. Mike Dawida noted a famous Robert Kennedy quote: "Don't ask what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

"Betty Esper has done for Homestead just like he said," Dawida noted.

"On behalf of Barrett Elementary School and community, we salute you," the Homestead school's principal Sharon Fisher said. "We say thank you for the many items you donated to the school and just from being a visible sign of support."

Austin Davis, executive assistant to Allegheny County executive Rich Fitzgerald, presented Esper with a proclamation from the county.

Davis told Esper that Fitzgerald sees her as his "political mother" since he started as an Allegheny County councilman.

Esper received proclamations from state Sen. Jay Costa, D-Forest Hills, and state Rep. Marc Gergely, D-White Oak, honoring her life and accomplishments.

Also at the luncheon, Steel Valley High School student Marlon Brown and West Mifflin Area High School student Erika McDonald were presented with $1,000 scholarships from the Harmony Club of Homestead.

The club was started in 1899 by Anna S. Posey, and originally was called The Ladies Aid of Homestead. It helps local families in need and offers financial support to community organizations.

 By Stacy Lee
McKeesport Daily News

Published: Monday, May 7, 2012